Tuesday, June 17, 2008

1,000 miles and feelin' fine

I'm here at the ATC headquaters in historic Harper's Ferry, WV, having passed the 1000 mile mark sometime earlier today. In addition, we finally passed out of VA, having come some 535 miles through the state. While its not quite the physical half way point, the town still holds a special place for hikers on the trail, and it defitinitely feels good to be here, and to be able to add another state to those finished. The area is beautiful, filled with old buildings and situated on a hill where the Potomac and Shenendoah Rivers converge, and luckily the weather has cleared up after a thunderstorm hit last night. The last few days have been eerily sparse as far as other thru hikers go, so I'll be trying hard to catch up with a few guys who got ahead of me in Front Royal; hopefully they aren't hurrying through the area, as I would like to spend some time in town. With D.C. so close by, NYC approaching, my stay with my sis in Front Royal, and my mom coming to visit soon, I have lots to look foward to in the coming weeks. The states and the miles should be coming fast now, time for the second half to begin!

3 comments:

elise said...

i thought you'd be getting in today. the weather was glorious and this evening in the 60's, so it must have been a great hike in.
it was such a great weekend. i'm really glad that we got to spend some time together, although i'm pretty sure that i'm still slowly digesting all that food. did you see any fun animals on crc property? i saw some oryx as i drove away.
love you

elise said...

oh, and my friend nicole hiked the trail 10 years ago. her trail name was "Hey, Hey, Go Away". She's pretty sure her friend just went by Brian.

elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.