Monday, June 28, 2010

Catasrophes and Blessings

Hi all, I'm writing today from Pooh's Corner, an awesome trail angel's house on Donner Lake outside Truckee, CA, owned by Bill Persons. The plan since leaving South Lake Tahoe a few days ago has been to stop here for the night and bounce out in the morning, making tracks for Sierra City. Unfortunately, I managed to twist my ankle fairly badly (on an innocuous stick, of all things), and had to hike 35 painful miles to get here on but a few Ibuprofen. That being said, I'm taking a zero day here today and hoping to recuperate somewhat; at the moment my ankle looks somewhat eggplant-ish. Dave is on a schedule and doesn't have the time to lounge, so he and Smiletrain headed out this morning, but the set up here is almost too sweet to pass up. The rest of the gang stayed here as well to take advantage of Bill's awesome pad. There are several boats to bring out on the lake, 3 computers to play on, a rock climbing wall in the living room, 2 powerful showers, and gallons of ice cream on hand for hideous consumption, which basically makes it hiker paradise. Hopefully we'll catch up with the others in Belden, another 150 or so miles down the road, after which Dave has to head out for a wedding in Puerto Rico for a week. Given that he is our best pathfinder and general logistics person, his absence amidst the snow will be sorely missed by the group. It will be hard leaving this place in the morning, especially considering the sorry state of my foot, but the miles won't hike themselves. I suppose that if the terrain continues to be challenging, I can take some more rest days at the next hostel a week away, but time will tell. Talk to you later.

3 comments:

muh said...

feel better!

elise said...

Ouch. I'd say take it easy, but I know you won't. Hope it heals up quick.

Animal Entropy said...

Hi megan, I should be in Washington for at least the second half of August through early to mid September. Will you be free to meet up at some point? I'd be happy to hike a section with you or do a side trail for it bit, but obviously I'm not too familiar with whats in the area.