Saturday, April 12, 2008

Explanations

Seeing as I have computer access, I might as well try and answer any questions regarding the title of this blog. I usually avoid talking about it because these are some wierd ideas that can take some explaining, but a few thousand miles is enough of a buffer to not feel awkward voicing them I suppose. Basically, it all has to do with entropy (hence the address). The word had many meanings all relating to the Second law of Thermodynamics, which states that the chaos in a closed system can only increase or stay the same. In my case I am concerned with its cosmological relevance, mainly the fact that if the universe is a closed system, and it is constantly getting more chaotic (i.e. hotter, given that heat is the least ordered form of energy) , then the end result is unquestionably some kind of "heat death" where all the universe's energy is evenly distributed.
Some people have questioned the validity of such an outcome, pointing to life as an ordering of matter and energy that could not succeed in an entropic enviroment. I, on the other hand, like to think of things the other way, that life is simply a means of quickening the process, that it is part of the operation that would lead to that ultimate conclusion. Animal entropy is my little coloquial term for this idea, mainly because it sounds badass and isn't copyrighted yet. It all sounds very depressing, but in my view (which I won't bother elaboating on presently) it is very enlightening to at least keep the idea in mind when considering why things are the way they are. This is all a horrendous oversimplification of the arguments surrounding the topic, particularly one that has reprecussions for many fields including evolution and religion, but there it is in a nutshell. Even if it is never mentioned again in this blog, I'm guessing I'll put some time into thinking about it on the trail so I gave it a shout out in the title. And now, after boring you this whole time, I'm off to think about other irrelevant and confusing shit.

1 comment:

elise said...

i'm glad you're blogging this crazy plan of yours, even if it's sporadic.

entropy has always been one of my favorite words. it's fun to say, it has an attractive set of letters and pleasing sounds when spoken. it makes people stop because they don't know what it means. in it's simplest definition it sums up my life pretty well. fitting that you should like it so much as well.

enjoy the first few days. i'll be thinking of you. love you